Sunday, January 13, 2019

DINODRIFTERS Dev Diary #15: Saving Progress


Hello and welcome to another DINODRIFTERS dev diary!

DINODRIFTERS is a big game. With 21 story episodes and at least 25 areas to explore, from the beginning I knew that a reliable save system would be needed. One I, as developer, would need complete control over. Let me briefly talk about this today.


The top-left button lets you save, load and restart the game. Saving is only allowed when not in battle or in an event.



















Firstly, saving is as simple as it should be.

You press the button in the top-left corner and it opens up the file menu. Here you can save (if free in game), load and restart/go back to the main menu.

Save files are .ini files that can be easily edited (I might create a tutorial for such in the future) and are structured thusly:

- Core save data (stats, character details and story progress)
- Blackhill animal data [only for Story Mode files] (the details of all the saved animals the file has saved on Blackhill Reserve)
- Temporary save data (the animals, plants and objects in the game world that are not permanent)

In theory, there is no limit to how many save files the player can have at once, but I'll probably limit it to a number below 20 at a later date when I make a final UI for it. That way you can have multiple Story and Dinosaur files at once.


Next diary, I will talk about the Dinodriver - the most powerful piece of Drifter Gear in DINODRIFTERS!

Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment