Saturday, December 1, 2018

DINODRIFTERS Dev Diary #1: Vision Statement


Hello and welcome to the first development diary entry for DINODRIFTERS!

After months of development, it is time to announce DINODRIFTERS, a video game about travelling in time and walking with dinosaurs!


I plan to regularly post to this blog in dev diaries like this one, with each post concerning a certain aspect of the game and the development process. Before I do, though, I want to say precisely what I want DINODRIFTERS to be.


See to get an idea of what the game looks like (no dinos on screen though, save that for later!)
DINODRIFTERS is a role-playing game about discovery. Most people are aware of a few dozen prehistoric animals, but there are hundreds and hundreds of fascinating animals known to us that lived in the prehistoric world! Not just dinosaurs - sea scorpions, giant insects, our ancient ancestors - just to name a few! The world of paleontology is vast and new creatures are being discovered every year! 

I want to bring the past to life through artificial intelligence in DINODRIFTERS and to show that past through discovering it in the wild. How animals interact with each other, how they survived, what they ate - I want to transform these from worlds in a research paper to something you can see and interact with!

Not just the big, famous creatures, though. I want everything from the smallest lizard to the greatest sauropod to be in the game, as accurate to our known information about them as possible.

A tall order, I know. Already, there are around 150 animals in the game across three areas. By the end of it, that number will be much higher, because I want DINODRIFTERS to span the history of life on earth. From the Cambrian all the way to the present day. It shall be an odyssey across time and space from the beginning of multicellular life to the reign of humanity!

That is DINODRIFTERS!

Whew, been waiting months to say that! Feels good! Now this blog is under construction and more pages and stuff will be added to it in the coming weeks and months. So be sure to bookmark this page or follow it if you're interested in any of what I've just typed and click on some of the buttons on this page to look at more information. 

The future is bright and full of dinosaurs (and more)!

Making this game is my dream and I hope I can both entertain and educate people about life on earth during prehistory.

Until next time!


- J

No comments:

Post a Comment